I’ve just had a great weekend, especially with taking my lovely daughter to a pasta-making class in Brisbane. I had given the tickets to her for her birthday which was back in July, but this week was the first class vacancy they had. We had such a great time- it was held at Angelo’s Fresh Pasta, and they truly treated us very well.
I’m learning to roll the pasta
We learnt how to first make the pasta dough and then roll it out on those nifty rolling machines- who knew there was an electric version?!- but also cut and roll into shapes or cut into ribbons for fettucine.
I so need to get one of these!
After the class we were treated to a 3-course lunch which was fantastic- fresh pasta is so much better than the packet dried version!
My daughter mastering the roller
In last week’s post I showed my small quilt that I made for the ‘Orange & Purple’ challenge. I also have some photos of some of the other group members’ 6in quilt to show you here.
This is a group photo, followed by a few close-ups.:
Top row, L-R: Helen H, Lyn, Jan M,Karen; Row 2: Marg, Jan K, Meryl, Marilyn; Row 3: Shirley, Helen S, Trish
Plus, here are some other works by the group members:
This month’s two-colour challenge for the Art Quilt group I belong to, was purple and orange. We could do anything within the general theme of flora and fauna, using only the two colours of orange and purple. This is my final result.
Orange & purple challenge: 6 * 6 inches
I want to use these challenges to try out different techniques and different media, as I figure it’s an excellent opportunity to play and experiment. So therefore my approach in creating this month’s task was not to think about what could I depict using only those two colours, but instead to consider what method or materials I wanted to try out this month. I started off by deciding to use paper as the base. Using paper, I wanted something with up-and-down texture on the surface by manipulating the paper.
Who knows what mysterious paths the brain takes as it mulls things over, considers all the options and factors, discards this idea and that before settling on something. For some reason, the image of strata popped in my head, as well as a fossil. That would do- a fossil fits in the flora and fauna scheme?!
I then remembered I had some ‘Modelling Compound’ that I’d once bought but not yet used: using that could achieve the rough texture to resemble layers of strata. So I started.
I used some hand-made paper and painted it with some purple ink. I stirred up the modelling compound, which has the texture of really thick white goop, and to that mixed in some orange acrylic paint.
I traced a shape of a fossil onto some freezer paper and stuck it in the centre where I wanted the fossil to appear. This was just to act as a mask and stop the paste flowing over it, as well as allowing that circle to be indented with the strata edges rising around it, like a fossil would have.
I then spread the orange paste over it all , putting lines and heavier bits in some sections, and digging some back out to reveal little glimpses of the purple. I then left it to dry.
Taking off the freezer paper mask in the middle, I had smeared just a little colour over that centre circle. It set with a rubbery texture so I was able to then do free-motion stitching all over it to (attempt to) resemble strata lines. I also stitched the fossil shape. The needle went through the orange ridges and stitched easily enough, although I did have to experiment with the thread to find one which could resist being ‘cut’ or breaking on the fine edges of the strata.
I think it sort of looked how I envisaged! although the paper I originally wanted to utilise ended up being an under-layer and not a feature. The orange appears a little too intense, so it could have been toned down a little. In fact, I would even say it is a little ugly, but it was fun experimenting!
September is a beautiful month isn’t it? The start of Spring and perfect weather- warm days and cool nights, nothing too extreme. I thought I would indulge a little and give you a photo essay this week- our garden, and a few furry children thrown in!
The blocks I’m making as part of the Splendid Sampler, hosted by Pat Sloan and Jane Davidson, are coming along surely and steadily, even if I’m a little behind!
I’m still making them with mainly Japanese taupes, linens, some indigo patterns and whatever else fits within that scheme. I usually make quilts that are bright and with as many fabrics as I can, so it feels a little strange to restrict myself with this palette; I’m still having second thoughts whenever I look at these blocks that appear so ‘traditional’ to me! But, its’s giving me practise at working with values and putting more thought into colour.
Here’s a little catch-up since the last time I showed some blocks on here, with their name and block designer’s name:
#30-Simple Surprises by Amy Ellis
#32 The Constant Needle by Laurie Simpson
This next one provided a good opportunity to use some of the selvedges that I’ve been saving for ages:
#33 Selvedge Saver by Pat Sloan
Block 34 – Lemonade by Amy Gibson
This block originally had hand-stitching along the ‘garden paths’ but I decided to try out some of the decorative stitches on my machine which also don’t get used that often! In the centre, I put a little square of braid from a piece I bought in New York last year.
#35 The Wishful Garden by Kristyne Czepuryk
Block 36 gave me the chance to do some little hexagons. Aren’t they cute! Each of the larger hexagon is made of tiny little hexies.
#36 Inchy Hexagon Club designed by Jane Davidson
I like making hexagons- I might have to think about making a hexagon quilt (some day).
So, back to the sewing machine!