A few projects are coming along, bit by bit, so today’s post is a kind of progress report! First up, my red block for the Gatton Quilters monthly colour challenge.
Each colour comes with its own challenges. Red has a lot of different shades so I needed to come up with something where little pieces of all those different reds could be utilised.
This is a block that has been foundation-paper-pieced. I love this technique- it enables you to get a seemingly intricate block all pieced together with nice sharp points, with minimal effort! This in-the-round arrows block is called ‘Marvelous Millie’- it was a pattern found in the ‘Love Patchwork & Quilting’ magazine (Issue 22). In the magazine version, it was made with white as the main colour and a print for the accent pieces. I decided to see how I could make it with lots of reds.
From the photos you can see how some of the pieces have quite an orange look to them, and some photos look more ‘orangey’ than others, but they were all reds. I used red hand-dyeds for the main colour sections, and red prints and patterns for the accent pieces. I’m still making my mind up on whether there is enough contrast to really show the block off… I think most of the fabrics were all around a medium value, so it probably would be better if I had some lighter red pieces to add a bit more contrast. It also hasn’t yet been quilted.
I’ve also started on Part 5 of the My Small World quilt. Just piecing together the little squares for the sky….
and getting started on the little hexagons needed for the bottom of that section. Lots of cutting and piecing in this quilt!
And one last thing…
todays’ photo of a Dear Jane block. This one is called A9 Cabin Fever- it was also foundation-paper-pieced.
Have a good week!