a sweet little improvised quilt

This is a little quilt that I recently finished – a quiltlet. I showed a few in-progress pictures in a recent post. It was made in an improvisational style, in that I basically made it up as I went along!

I started with the house block which I already had made – over time I have made a number of house blocks with the end-goal of eventually putting them together into a quilt. I make them in the ‘liberated style’ made popular by Gwen Marston, where the pieces are of uneven widths and sewn together at different angles, and using brightly coloured fabrics.

I then added to the house with other small blocks of various designs, working towards an undefined size, but a roughly a rectangle shape. As I added one set of blocks, there would be something else needed to eventually make straight sides.

I added some half-square triangles along the bottom, some wonky stars down one side and a ‘liberated’ tree on the other.

While I used lots of bright colours and didn’t have a particular colour palette in mind, I did have to keep checking on the range of values- to add some contrast with dark and light.

The bright green seemed a good fit for the borders as well as the light purple spot which was also repeated in the binding. I quilted it in an all-over free-hand design, a sort of squiggly pattern with the odd star and butterfly added in. It turned out a nice bright happy quiltlet, measuring 30″ by 17.5″, with a hanging sleeve on the back.